17 April 2011

Writing Letter Templet

(1) Semi-formal Letter

Dear Sir/Madam,
  • [Asking for Help] I'm writing to ask you that ... / I would like you to ...
  • [Complaining] I am writing to express my dissatisfaction about ...
  • [Thanking] I very much appreciated ...
  • [Apologizing] I'd like to apologize about ...

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thinking you in advance for your help, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
Lucy

[Words] inform me, cancel, contact, obtain, apologize, postpone,
request, compensate, establish, discover, handle, investigate,
tolerate, increase, children, many, much


[Sample Semi-formal Letter - Band 7]
You have bought a new laptop computer and in a few days of purchase discovered a major flaw. Write a letter to the company. In your letter

- introduce yourself
- explain the situation
- say what action you would like to company to take.

Dear Sir/Madam,

[
introduce yourself] I am writing you to express my dissatisfaction with a laptop computer I bought in your store four days ago.
[explain the situation] As soon as I turned on the computer, I realized that Windows operating system was not installed in it, even tough the offer said it was included. In addition, I chose a gray laptop and the one I received was black. Moreover, the default language of the laptop is Japanese and I haven't been able to change it to my native language, which is English. To make matters worse, the memory specifications of this laptop are not the same as the ones that I read in your catalog.
I definitely need this situation to be solved as soon as possible. I made the decision to buy the laptop at your store, because of previous good recommendations some friends of mine gave me about your store. However, after this experience, I feel deceived.

[say what action you would like to company to take] I would like you to send me the laptop I first chose at your store, including all the specifications as shown in the offer. If I don't get a quick response to my request, I will request a full refund of the payment I already made.
Thanks in advance for your response.

Yours faithfully,
R.

(2) Informal Letter

Dear John,

Hi there! It's been so long since I've heard from you. I hope you are doing well and I hope all your family are doing fine. I'm pretty good in spite of working hard. Anyway, the reason I'm writing is ...


Yours,
Lucy


[Words] let me know, drop, get in touch with, get, say sorry, delay,
ask for, make up, set up, find out, deal with, check up with,
put up, go up, kids, a lot of, heaps of


[Sample Informal Letter - Band 7]
IELTS writing – sample letter 5

You migrated to another country. Write a letter to your friend
to describe your present life and tell him/her
why you chose this country.

Dear Linda,

I’m sorry I haven’t been writing to you for such a long time. I am writing to let you know that
I have migrated to Perth, Australia. My family and I arrived in Perth on the third of April 2008 and we have finally settled down.

[why you chose this country] We migrated to Perth because my sisters and their family have also migrated there three years ago. We have planed to join them in Perth and also for the children’s education and their future as well.
[describe your present life] We have just settled in our new house and the kids are enjoying the pool almost everyday. They have been attending a public school and have made quite a lot of friends. The people here are very friendly and helpful. John has also found a job near the city. The working environment here according to John is very different from Malaysia. And as for me, I am a full time housewife, enjoying the morning coffee with the newspaper.
Do let me know when you plan to visit Perth and you are always welcome to stay at my new house.

With love,
Sharon.

No comments: